hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Ted Dunning" <ted.dunn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using TreeMaps in JobTracker
Date Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:29:57 GMT
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 5:00 AM, Brice Arnould <brice@vleu.net> wrote:

> Devaraj Das a écrit :
>
>> ...This list is then copied to the
>> "actions" list that contains everything the tasktracker should consider.
>> So
>> maybe the last copy can be avoided by having the JT store a reference to
>> that action list and directly writing that out. But there are some other
>> things to be taken care of like using arrays instead of lists ....
>>
> You're right. Thanks for the explanation ^_^

Actually, talking to Devaraj off-list, he mentioned that the preference  for
array is due to the RPC mechanism requiring arrays.  I think it would be
better to keep the lists in the code (minimizing copies as per above), but
then allowing lists to be acceptable in-memory analogs of arrays.  In
general, I think it is better to use ArrayLists than arrays and there is no
cost that I know of to just saying List.