hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: port out of range
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 09:18:52 GMT
Ahmad Humayun wrote:
> Whenever I run bin/start-dfs.sh, I get this out of range port error:
>
> starting namenode, logging to
> /home/ahmad/bin/hadoop-0.16.3/bin/../logs/hadoop-ahmad-namenode-linux-main.out
> Password:
> localhost: starting datanode, logging to
> /home/ahmad/bin/hadoop-0.16.3/bin/../logs/hadoop-ahmad-datanode-linux-main.out
> Password:
> localhost: starting secondarynamenode, logging to
> /home/ahmad/bin/hadoop-0.16.3/bin/../logs/hadoop-ahmad-secondarynamenode-linux-main.out
> localhost: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> port out of range:-1
> localhost:      at
> java.net.InetSocketAddress.<init>(InetSocketAddress.java:118)
> localhost:      at
> org.apache.hadoop.net.NetUtils.createSocketAddr(NetUtils.java:125)
> localhost:      at
> org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SecondaryNameNode.<init>(SecondaryNameNode.java:117)
> localhost:      at
> org.apache.hadoop.dfs.SecondaryNameNode.main(SecondaryNameNode.java:494)
>

> Any ideas how to solve this? Do I need to open some port on my network ...
> even though I am running hadoop on a single machine?

Well, the secondary name node is trying to listen on port -1, which is
out the range 0-65535, hence the error.

I would skip trying to create a secondary name node. If you do have to
run it, find out the configuration parameters for ports and fix it.
Pasting that stack trace at the IDE points me at the following parameters

       NetUtils.getServerAddress(conf,
                                 "dfs.secondary.info.bindAddress",
                                 "dfs.secondary.info.port",
                                 "dfs.secondary.http.address")

so, check the bindAddress and port values