hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From arkady borkovsky <ark...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: How should we handle queue configuaration in hadoop?
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 06:32:51 GMT
HADOOP-3421 seems to combine 2 sorts of requirements:
    (a) requirements for resource manager for Hadoop (map reduce) jobs
    (b) requirements for operations that can be performed on Hadoop
(map reduce) jobs necessary to implement (a) and a certain class of
other "resource managers" with potentially different requirements.

One can imagine a resource manager being run on a single machine
outside a Hadoop grid.  It would have a local database of jobs,
queues, etc and their status.  And it would talk to Hadoop to get the
current state of the running jobs, and to request to do something
with specific jobs -- kill, put to sleep, change the resource quota,
etc.  Its counterpart on Hadoop grid would not need to know all the
concepts that the "resource manager" operates with.

Such layered design may make it easier to answer os of the questions.
E.g. it kind of implies that (b) is part of Hadoop and belongs to
JIRA, while (a) may be completely specific for different organizations.

2c