hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Design Q: logging/nesting of exceptions
Date Fri, 09 May 2008 09:03:52 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:

> On May 8, 2008, at 10:21 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:
>
>> I'd go with something closer to an accidental policy.  My suspicion is
>> that logging framework didn't print nested exceptions well.  Owen is
>> the father of stringifyException and may have more insight.
>
> Yeah, it was my fault. The log4j was misconfigured, so we didn't get the
> exception traces out of the messages. I didn't realize it was a
> misconfiguration until much later and it had become standard practice
> within Hadoop. *sigh* I've fixed a couple of them, but there are a lot
> more.

OK, that means when I encounter them I can change them.

Somewhere on my todo list is way better Junit reports, including logs
from multiple machines and stack traces in machine readable
form...getting the exceptions out raw is one of the requirements for
this to work

http://wiki.apache.org/ant/Proposals/EnhancedTestReports

-steve