hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Distributed indexing
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:21:37 GMT
Matt,

You probably want to mail core-user, not core-dev....

Here is what I wrote on java-user@lucene yesterday (in answer to Samuel Gao's question there):

There are actually several distributed indexing or searching projectsin Lucene (the top-level
ASF Lucene project, not Lucene Java), and it'stime to start thinking about the possibility
of bringing them together,finding commonalities, etc.

Here is the summary:
- Lucene - distributed search via ParallelMultiSearcher.  How you split indices/shards is
up to you.
- Solr - distributed search via SOLR-303 (see DistributedSearch on its Wiki).  How you split
indices/shards is up to you.
- Nutch - distributed search via its org.apache.nutch.ipc (I think).  How you split indices/segments
is up to you.
- Nutch - see the bottom of http://wiki.apache.org/nutch/Nutch2Architecture for a new push
to come up with shard management tools

There is also Hadoop:
- Using MapReduce + HDFS to build a single Lucene index in a distributed fashion (see contrib/index
in Hadoop).

There is also GridLucene project somewhere on the web...

Otis