hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Holsman <li...@holsman.net>
Subject Re: Google App Engine?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2008 07:13:53 GMT
Edward J. Yoon wrote:
> What do you think about GoogleAppEngine service and DataStore API?
>
> http://code.google.com/appengine/
> http://code.google.com/appengine/docs/datastore/

It's a fine product, except for the lock in.

when hbase matures it will be good for appengine as well, as I think
alot of people will wait for an alternative to move to, and host
internally if/when they get larger. when they see they have an
alternative they will flock to both.

the lack of java support will mean it is confined to the geeks. they
need to get it into java and PHP for it to become mainstream.

the lack of cron/scheduling support is a pita as well.

> And, What do you think about SQL-like query language GQL and hadoop
> HQL (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HRDF/HQL) ?
> I want to nurse my dying HQL. Any comments are welcome.

regards
Ian