hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amar Kamat <ama...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: intermediate map data
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 16:32:25 GMT
On Mon, 3 Mar 2008, Ahmad Humayun wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I have a question about the intermediate data output by the map function. I
> wanted to know that does this intermediate data get written to the HDFS or
> it stays in the node's local memory?
It stored on the local disk.
> According to the MapReduce paper, the
> intermediate data is run through a hash function which maps every key to a
> given a reduce worker. So how does this whole process happen? Does the map
> worker write the intermediate data to the HDFS and then tells the JobTracker
> (Master) which Reduce worker should be allotted this data? Or the Map worker
> keeps the intermediate data in memory and makes an RPC call directly to the
> reduce worker (which was figured out by the hash function) to transfer the
> intermediate data?

The map uses something called the partitioner. Each map writes they <k,v>
pair for the appropriate reducer determined by this partition function. In
the end there is a map output file which is nothing but outputs for each
reduce function concatenated in sequence based on reduce id. The hash
function you are talking about is the partition function in HADOOP.
JobTracker is not involved in these things. Since the map has generated
output for each reducer, whenever a reducer requests for a map output the
tracker indexes into the mapouput file and sends the appropriate map
output chunk.
> It will be great if you can point me to the place, where these
> functionalities are implemented in hadoop.
See TaskTracker$MapOutputServlet.
> Plus it will be great if you can also point me to the place where the hash
> function is in map?
See o.a.h.m.Partitioner.java