hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Amar Kamat <ama...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: TaskInProgress
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 15:50:58 GMT
TaskInProgress is the data structure used by
JobTracker/JobInProgress to keep task (map/reduce)
related information together since for each map/reduce task there can be
multiple attempts. This structure is more complex and holds generic
task-level information like number of attempts,
failures, hosts where executed, hosts where the split resides etc.
While TaskTracker.TaskInProgress is the data structure used by
the TaskTracker for tracking map/reduce attempts. This is a simple
structure used to keep track of the local tasks
at TaskTracker (mostly for task execution metrics). In short
TaskInProgress is used to represent each map/reduce task while
TaskTracker.TaskInProgress is used to represent the attempt
for each map/reduce task.