hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: add incompatible flag to Jira
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 07:15:47 GMT

On Mar 11, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> Nigel Daley wrote:
>> 1. an incompatible checkbox
>
> This really only passes the buck, doesn't it?

Ya, it passes it to the right people - the submitter and reviewer as
opposed to the committer (who is currently responsible for
determining if an issue goes in the INCOMPAT section of
CHANGES.txt).  We also need to provide guidelines on what may be
considered an incompatible change.

>> 2. a release note text box
>
> Shouldn't folks just include CHANGES.txt message in the patch?
> That's what I've always encouraged, but few are ever provided.
> Perhaps Hudson can bounce patches that don't touch CHANGES.txt?
>
> Both these would make sense if we intend to abandon CHANGES.txt and
> use them instead.  Is that your intent?

No, I think we need CHANGES.txt (or some equivalent) that lists ALL
the changes in the release (as opposed to the release notes that only
list the important changes).  I'm told, too, that it's also
convenient to have a complete list of changes IN the workspace so
that a developer can quickly see what has been recently committed.
So I think CHANGES.txt stays.  My proposal is to add an additional
files (release notes) that is auto generated from the new field in Jira.

Nige