hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Ahmad Humayun" <ahmad.hu...@gmail.com>
Subject deleting files from the DFS
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:07:50 GMT
Hi there,

I have some questions about the DFS functionality.

Case 1: Lets say there is a node which opens a file on the DFS to read. From
my understanding, the open request will go to the namenode, which will tell
it where the blocks of the file are. What if another node comes up and asks
to delete that file. Of course this request will go to the namenode. How
will the namenode respond in such a situation?

Case 2: Whenever a node wants to delete a file, I think the request first
lands with the namenode? What happens to the replicas of the blocks of that
file, as soon as that file gets deleted?

Thank you for all the help :)

regards,
--
Ahmad Humayun