hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Ahmad Humayun" <ahmad.hu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hdfsLock
Date Sat, 01 Mar 2008 09:26:38 GMT
Well this is what I want to do. Lets say I have two nodes A & B each working
with the HDFS. I have a file named, say, temp. In the file temp I just store
a single integer (1 or 0). Now both these nodes access the file temp.
Everything in concept should work fine as long as both the nodes are just
reading the file, but what if a Node has to change the integer inside temp.
I think the normal procedure will be to read the temp file's integer, delete
the file and write a new file temp with the new required value. Lets say
Node B wanted to go through this procedure of changing the value inside
temp. While Node B is "changing/writing" to temp, I don't want Node A to be
able to either read or write to temp. Its something like 'flock()' through
the same fd (file descriptor)

In short I want exclusive access for the Node changing a file. Its the
Readers Writers problem :)

Thanks for the wonderful support on this mailing list :)

regards,

--
Ahmad Humayun
Research Assistant