hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "dhruba Borthakur" <dhr...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Multiplexing sockets in DFSClient/datanodes?
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:53:08 GMT
Hi Jim,

The protocol between the client and the Datanodes will become relatively
more complex if we decide to multiplex simultaneous transfers of
multiple blocks on the same socket connection. Do you think that the
benefit of saving on system resources is really appreciable?

Thanks,
Dhruba

-----Original Message-----
From: Sanjay Radia [mailto:sradia@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 11:36 AM
To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Multiplexing sockets in DFSClient/datanodes?

Doug Cutting wrote:
> Jim Kellerman wrote:
>> Yes, multiplexing a socket is more complicated than having one socket
>> per file, but saving system resources seems like a way to scale.
>>
>> Questions? Comments? Opinions? Flames?
>
> Note that Hadoop RPC already multiplexes, sharing a single socket per
> pair of JVMs.  It would be possible to multiplex datanode, and should
> not in theory significantly impact performance, but, as you indicate,
> it would be a significant change.  One approach might be to implement
> HDFS data access using RPC rather than directly using stream i/o.
>
> RPC also tears down idle connections, which HDFS does not.  I wonder
> how much doing that alone might help your case?  That would probably
> be much simpler to implement.  Both client and server must already
> handle connection failures, so it shouldn't be too great of a change
> to have one or both sides actively close things down if they're idle
> for more than a few seconds.  This is related to adding write timeouts

> to the datanode (HADOOP-2346).

Doug,
   Dhruba and I had discussed using RPC in the past. While RPC is a
cleaner interface and our rpc implementation has
features such sharing connection, closing idle connections etc,
streaming IO lets to pipe large amounts
of data without the request/response exchange.
The worry was that IO performance would degrade.
BTW, NFS uses rpc (NFS does not have the write pipeline for replicas)

sanjay