hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Milind A Bhandarkar" <mili...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: Summer of Code 2008 - Integrate Talend with Hadoop.
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 04:17:11 GMT
+1. Would love to see more such projects' integration with hadoop.

-milind

----- Original Message -----
From: Ian Holsman <lists@holsman.net>
To: core-dev@hadoop.apache.org <core-dev@hadoop.apache.org>
Sent: Mon Mar 10 21:12:14 2008
Subject: PROPOSAL: Summer of Code 2008 - Integrate Talend with Hadoop.

I'd like to volunteer a proposal for the upcoming summer of code project.

Talend is a open source (GPL) data integration tool used by companies to
transform data from one format to another.

For example I might get 2-3 XML input files that I need to feed into a
database, or SOLR server. It works really well until you start bumping
into memory limits or time concerns when you handle large files.

Enter hadoop.

I'd would like to propose a project to write the necessary bits to make
talend jobs run on a hadoop cluster, possibly using things like pig.

While I understand this code will probably end up as a part of talend's
code base, I think it would be a neat project to expand hadoop's
presence in this space.
I'm willing to act as a mentor for it. (I've been a mentor for HTTP, and
lucene projects in the past)

regards
Ian