hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: add incompatible flag to Jira
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:17:54 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> 1. an incompatible checkbox

This really only passes the buck, doesn't it?  The real problem is
correctly identifying all the incompatible changes.  We already have a
mechanism, a section in CHANGES.txt, but we don't always manage to
correctly list all the incompatible changes there.  A checkbox won't be
any more reliable will it?

> 2. a release note text box

Shouldn't folks just include CHANGES.txt message in the patch?  That's
what I've always encouraged, but few are ever provided.  Perhaps Hudson
can bounce patches that don't touch CHANGES.txt?

Both these would make sense if we intend to abandon CHANGES.txt and use
them instead.  Is that your intent?

Doug