hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Mafish Liu" <maf...@gmail.com>
Subject [hbase] Suggestions on hbase APIs.
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:23:27 GMT
Hi:
I'm recently using hbase (included in hadoop 0.15.2 release)to manage
spatial data.
And found two "flaws" which I think can be improved.

First, if you fetch the column names in a hbase table using
"  Set <Text> columns = tableDes.families().keySet(); "
You can get a set of column names that ended by a colon, which I think
should be
gotten rid of.

Second, if you read all contains in a hbase table by
"HScannerInterface.next" method, you will ge a TreeMap<Text, byte[]> every
time
you call. Returning column names every time is a waste  of memory and
network bandwidth.
And there should be an efficient way to do such work.

The above two APIs are used in my program and also in Hbase shell program.
I don't know if there are alternative APIs that have performed the
improvements.

Best regards.
Mafish
--
Mafish@gmail.com
Institute of Computing Technology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing.