hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 0.16 schedule and follow-on bug fix releases
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 20:52:16 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> For 0.16.0, can we set a goal of having all blocker committed and
> calling a vote next Thursday, Jan 24, with a blocker defined as
> a) a bad regression
> b) an unintended incompatibility

In particular, things that cause programs which worked in prior releases
to no longer function in fundamental ways and with no easy workaround.

> c) bad bugs in an important new feature

I don't think these should generally be blockers.  New features may be
buggy in their first release.  Hopefully they'll be less buggy in
subsequent releases, but I don't think bugs in new features should block
a release from going out.  That said, I'm okay making a bugfix release
that doesn't contain any blockers.  We should generally refuse to merge
new features and improvements to a branch, but bugfixes deemed safe,
whether regressions or to new features, can be included in a bugfix
release.  Does that sense?

Doug