hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From edward yoon <webmas...@udanax.org>
Subject RE: [VOTE][PLAN] Graduate Hbase Shell as a contrib project (v.02)
Date Sat, 08 Dec 2007 23:53:16 GMT

Hey stack.

1. Risky because it will encourage people to think that the shell is a good way to interact
with HBase in general... [Bryan Duxbury]
2. Shell has outgrown hbase and no longer fits. It belongs in its own project.... [Michael
Stack]
3. Why not startup a new project named hbaseshell over on sourceforge?... [Michael Stack]

Now it is a Key point at all.

And i was added your question to my questionnaire.
Just vote.

------------------------------

B. Regards,

Edward yoon @ NHN, corp.
Home : http://www.udanax.org

> Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 12:50:26 -0800
> From: stack@duboce.net
> To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
> Subject: Re: [VOTE][PLAN] Graduate Hbase Shell as a contrib project (v.02)
>
> My main issue with the below Edward is that its a vote on 'hbase
> shell'. I would suggest that we instead vote on whether the proposed
> hbase shell extensions -- RDF, Matrix, Relational Algebra, HQL Server,
> etc. -- belong in hbase core.
>
> In its current state, the 'hbase shell' is buggy and needs filling out
> but IMO, it is a critical hbase feature. It makes hbase familiar
> because you can do basic data definition, administrative functions, and
> simple queries using something that resembles the ubiquitous SQL.
>
> The extensions on the other hand, IMO, do not fit the scope of the hbase
> project. While I see much of merit in each of the proposed
> developments, when done as patches and wiki additions to the hbase core,
> they strike me as noise and a distraction.
>
> Below I suggest an alternate wording for the vote. See what you think.
>

> Do the proposed extensions to hbase shell, listed below, belong in hbase
> core:

> [ ] +1 Yes, the proposed 'hbase shell' extensions belong in hbase core
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -0
> [ ] -1 No, the proposed 'hbase shell' extensions do not belong in hbase core
>

> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/RDF
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/Matrix
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/Hbase/HbaseShell (The section
> on 'Relational Algebra').
>
> Below are a partial list of JIRAs:
>
> HADOOP-2329 Addition of Built-In Value Data Types for efficient
> accessing and stroing data
> HADOOP-2013 JOINs in select statement
> HADOOP-2328 Non-index join columns
> HADOOP-2143 Cell-value index option using lucene
> HADOOP-2005 SPARQL operations can be defined using modified
> relational algebra operators
>
> Reading voting rules for the Apache HTTP project,
> http://httpd.apache.org/dev/guidelines.html, if you put up the proposal,
> for sure you have a binding vote. As to who else has binding votes and
> as to how the vote will be determined, is a little up in the air. I'd
> guess the current hbase committers have binding votes. But 3 plus
> binding votes are required to carry a motion. To avoid the possibility
> of all 3 binding votes not being in favor and to avoid an unsettled
> proposition, I'd suggest that we give binding votes to others who have
> made contributions to hbase?
>
> St.Ack
>

> edward yoon wrote:
>> Hi, community.
>> I'm edward yoon, a worker for the 'hbase shell on hadoop + hbase' and 'RDF, Matrix
storage on hadoop + hbase'.
>> Now I and other guys who did register for the hbase shell project would graduate
as a contrib project from hbase sub-package.

>> First i'm introducing ourselves.
>> I'm work for R&D center at NHN, corp( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHN )
>> And, i'm with an database expert, inchul(Ph.d candidate) and yongho(MM) and an enterpriser,
jaesun(Ph.D) and some university's labs.
>> I believe that our work will makes the hadoop an even better platform for scientific
and advanced analytics programming.