hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Goel, Ankur" <Ankur.G...@corp.aol.com>
Subject RE: give me some opinions, thanks
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 06:59:03 GMT
Hi,
      Just to give you a brief idea, Hadoop is a distributed computing platform written in
Java that lets one easily write and run applications that process vast amounts of data.  The
applications are written using the MapReduce programming model which typically used for writing
applications that process large data-sets. The data itself is stored in Hadoop Distributed
File System (HDFS).

For more information on Map/Reduce, refer to http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/HadoopMapReduce
For more information on HDFS, refer to http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/hdfs_design.html

Please see my replies inline below as more precise answers to your questions.

-Ankur

-----Original Message-----
From: 王学超 [mailto:wangxc100@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 12:02 PM
To: hadoop-dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: give me some opinions, thanks

Hello,everyone!
   Our company prepared to use hadoop to deal with massive data. because i don't know well
about hadoop. there are following questions. please give me some opinions thanks firstly!

1、What is specificed at programming type vs. configured at run-time in terms of parallelization,
environment, etc?

[Ankur]: Refer to http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/docs/r0.15.1/mapred_tutorial.html

2、What kind of out-of-box samples are packaged with the middleware?

[Ankur]: Refer to http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/ ,  Search for Examples and click on
link for individual example to get a fair idea.

3、What programming models are supported? please describe the nature of the APIs provided

Map/Reduce is the only programming model supported. The APIs that a typical map/reduce job
writer will use are mostly
reated to available Data-types and supported data-formats, Map/Reduce specific classes and
interfaces and utlity classes
and interfaces for  HDFS access. You can refer to the latest API javadoc which is available
at
http://lucene.apache.org/hadoop/docs/r0.15.1/api/index.html