hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "aki dyerac" <dye...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about hadoop design
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 03:06:18 GMT
Hi all:
  I am very interested about the principles and functions of Hadoop. Now I
am devoted into research on its architecture and code. The related documents
really helped me much, however, there are still some puzzles that I could
not get clear. Would anyone have time to explain them? the questions are
described below:
 1.what is the essential purpose of the file VERSION? Can anyone illustrate
some certain situations that the system would fail without the help of
VERSION?
 2.I notice that there are many temp directories, representing different
states of block, which will help during the start-up of datanode for
recovering. is there some meterial giving a clear description of functions
and logic of such directories?

thank you very much!
Best Regards :)

--