hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <ku...@apache.org>
Subject Bug in either ToolBase or ToolRunner or Nutch jobs
Date Tue, 09 Oct 2007 18:13:12 GMT
I don't know if this bug is in the way ToolRunner works, ToolBase works,
or the way Nutch implements some of its jobs, but here is the scenario.

Many Nutch jobs (Injector for instance) use ToolBase and call the
doMain(Configuration conf, String[] args) method to run.  ToolBase now
calls ToolRunner as return ToolRunner.run(this, args);  The problem is
that any the configuration object passed in to toolbase is not set as
the conf object in Toolbase and so is essentially ignored by ToolRunner.
  So any nutch resources are ignored.

The solution to this is pretty simple:

   public final int doMain(Configuration conf, String[] args) throws
Exception {
     setConf(conf);
     return ToolRunner.run(this, args);
   }

But since we are moving away from ToolBase I didn't know if there is a
better solution for this, for example should the current Nutch jobs be
moved over to ToolRunner instead or should we make this simple change
now for compatibility as we move the jobs to ToolRunner?  Any guidance
is appreciated.

Dennis Kubes