hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JCL vs SLF4J
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 18:48:32 GMT
Michael Stack wrote:
> Doug Cutting wrote:
>> I have used the JVM's built-in logging and found it lacking.
> Do you remember what the holes in JUL were?

Sorry, I don't remember all the details.

I note that Hadoop uses log4j's DailyRollingFileAppender, and nothing
like that is present in JUL.  And log4j's formatting options are much
more sophisticated than JUL's SimpleFormatter.  Also, with log4j, it's
easy to configure debug logging for a subset of code, based on package
wildcards.  Such things can be accomplished with JUL, but through the
addition of code, while log4j moves most of that to the config.

Doug