hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Hammerbacher" <jeff.hammerbac...@gmail.com>
Subject n00b question
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:18:29 GMT
Hello,

What's the DistributedCache for, in words?  I'm combing through the
JobClient/JobTracker/TaskTracker code right now and slowly getting a view of
the whole system, starting from "bin/hadoop jar ...".  I've almost made it
down the stack to TaskRunner, where DistributedCache seems to get used most
heavily, and started looking at DistributedCache.java but things are a bit
less penetrable than the rest of the codebase (including the first
single-letter variable name I've seen, other than "r" for Random()).  Any
wise Hadoop dev care to clear it up a bit for me?

Thanks,
Jeff