hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Arun C Murthy <ar...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: IMPORTANT: Changes to hadoop's configuration
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 10:58:56 GMT
Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> Why did we accept a patch that fundamentally changes the user
> experience without requiring that the patch included updated
> documentation in forest of javadoc?

The patch did update the javadoc in question. In fact, it ensured that
we updated all of hadoop's API javadocs.

This mail was intended more as a heads-up for people who might not be
aware of this incompatible change i.e. just using older configuration files.

There is also HADOOP-1881 to mainly add a new page to the hadoop website
(via forrest) and to:
a) update the HowToConfigure wiki so as to not lead people astray.
b) further embellish the javadoc with more examples

> I propose that committers should reject feature patches that do not
> included documentation.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> ---
>
> On a related note, does the release check for mapred-default.xml and
> warn if it exists?  Seems like a good idea.

Good idea. I'll file a jira for this and propose we keep this warning
for atleast 0.15.0.

Arun