hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Lucene-hadoop Wiki] Update of "FAQ" by DevarajDas
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2007 17:02:11 GMT
Eric Baldeschwieler wrote:
> I think we should also add an available RAM variable and then do a
> reasonable job of deriving a bunch of the other variables in these
> settings from that (we may need one for task trackers, one for namenodes
> and so on.

I filed an issue for this:

I also filed an issue for simplifying cluster configuration:

> What RAM size should we assume is a reasonable default?
> 2GB? 1GB?

1GB seems like a reasonable default today.  We should err on the low
side, since that will give a better initial experience.  We could even
try to configure some of this automatically, based on /proc/meminfo.
(That works on Linux and Cygwin.  Does it work on OSX?)

Doug