hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: still getting "is valid, and cannot be written to"
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 18:06:55 GMT

This means that a datanode is asked to receive a new block but the block
already exists.

One case where I have seen this happen is when Namenode is trying to
replicate blocks. Say replication increased from 3 to 20, Namenode asks
might ask multiple datanodes to transfer a block to the same datanode.
Smaller the cluster the cluster more probability that this happens.

What context are you seeing this?