hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Soztutar <enis.soz.nu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: using git for SCM?
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:42:48 GMT
Hi,

I have switched to git just two days ago, and i am quite happy about it.
Although i do not want hadoop to move to git before apache
infrastructure have matured enough. As Linus addresses in his talk, many
users have been using git+svn in a very innovative way. The central
repository is managed by svn and the users checkout the code, build a
local git repo and work from there. Personally i find it *very*
convenient to let both svn and git manage the code. What i do is make
git ignore svn files, and make svn ignore git files. Then i just branch
once for every issue i work on. Committing the changes before switching
to the other branch(issue). After I've done with the issue i get the
patch with regular svn diff. Anyhow i am telling about this because it
enabled me to work on several distinct issues simultaneously using the
same code base. I highly suggest this workspace-model to anyone working
this way.