hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using git for SCM?
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 20:28:29 GMT
Jeff Hammerbacher wrote:
> so we're starting to really use hadoop heavily here at facebook, and we'd
> like to start contributing back to the hadoop trunk.  we've been through
> this process before (contributing heavily to an actively developed open
> source project) with memached, and the guy who owns the trunk of that
> project is quite the SCM nut who says that his life has been made infinitely
> more pleasant by switching from svn to git for version control with
> memcached.
>
> i'm not suggesting the project be moved tomorrow.  i just wanted to throw
> the question out there to get a sense of how others feel about git as an SCM
> tool.

The project has a fair amount of culture built around subversion.  Also,
Apache's infrastructure currently supports subversion, not git, so we
would have to either manage our own repository, which is not encouraged,
or make git a supported part of Apache's infrastructure, which is rather
outside the scope of Hadoop.  So we could potentially move to a
different SCM, but someone would have to make a very compelling case
before that would become a project priority.

Doug