hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: \r\n problem in LineRecordReader.java
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:35:36 GMT
Bwolen Yang wrote:
> done.
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-1489

Thanks!

For extra-credit, attach a unit test that demonstrates it and a patch
that fixes it!

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-hadoop/HowToContribute

> a couple questions.
>
> - When including code/stack trace, my input was nicely indented, but
> after submission, somehow the text formatting fields are all mess up.
> (e.g., the entire code segment became one line).   Is attachment the
> only way to do this right?

You can edit the issue and use wiki markup.  There are preview and help
buttons beside the text box.  {code}foo{code} or {noformat}foo{noformat}
are probably what you want.

> - To track this, I essentially was doing "printf" debugging.   It is
> rather slow/painful.

That's actually my preferred method of debugging!

> I generally find the ability to debugger-attach to programs and just
> roam around the stack helps greatly in understanding complex programs
> quickly (even if I am not looking for bugs).

If you run with LocalRunner (instead of JobTracker and TaskTracker) then
normal debuggers should work well.  But, when things are distributed,
debugging is more difficult.

Doug