hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problem with InputStream.skip()
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 18:13:02 GMT
Raghu Angadi wrote:
> Also, reading from block supports 'real skip', ie, it does not check
> checksum if an entire checksum block (usually 512 bytes) falls within
> the skip range. Another reason to implement our own skip.

Yes, I don't see an alternative to implementing skip ourselves.  The
optimization in InputStream#skip(), of using a static buffer, requires
this.  Hopefully this method, like much of the checksum code, will be
shared between the generic ChecksumFileSystem and DFS's optimized
checksum implementation.

Doug