hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Doğacan Güney" <doga...@gmail.com>
Subject Question about DFS/MR deployment
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:50:11 GMT
Hello everyone,

When we started to use Hadoop (which was around 0.4.0 I think), we
used different machines for DFS and MR. IIRC, we had some problems
with running both a datanode and a tasktracker on the same machine, or
perhaps we were just superstitious. Anyway, the decision stuck and we
still use different machines.

So, the question is:
How do you run MR/DFS? Do you run JT/NN on the same machine or on
different machines? Do you run a tasktracker and a datanode on the
same machine? Also, in general is it recommended to run them on the
same machine?
(Our machines are dual core AMD64s with 2-4 GBs of RAM, btw)

Thanks,
Doğacan Güney