hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Owen O'Malley <o...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: 0.12.1 release plan
Date Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:19:48 GMT

On Mar 10, 2007, at 12:32 AM, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

>> I think the experience on big clusters at Yahoo! is that 0.12.1
>> should be more stable than 0.11.2, but others can confirm that.
>
> Hm.. That's not the impression I have from JIRA and the mailing
> list. My impression is that even though 0.12.1 is more robust in
> some situations, the significant changes (checksum filesystem,
> speculative execution, in memory sorting, improved map output
> handling, etc, etc) made between these releases introduced many
> subtle bugs which only now start coming into light.

We never upgraded our main clusters to 11.2 because it never
stabilized to our satisfaction, which is why I was proposing an 11.3.
However, 12.1 is looking pretty good with the exception  of a couple
of bugs and we decided to hold out for 12.1. At this point, if I was
going to 11, I'd want a lot of the fixes that have been done in between.

-- Owen