hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cost of debug statements.
Date Thu, 29 Mar 2007 18:18:43 GMT
Nigel Daley wrote:
> Just a caveat: when there is conditional code like this
> based on the configured logging level, then testing
> should be done with different logging levels to
> verify that there are no side effects or exceptions
> (such as NPE) generated by these conditional code
> blocks.  FWIW, this is not something I currently consider
> in my test matrix.

We could test this by running unit tests at DEBUG, but I also think it's
fair to declare that we only support running the code at particular log
levels.  Running things at DEBUG level can affect timing and
scalability, and things probably won't work as reliably in all
situations, even without bugs in the logging code.

Doug