hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: 0.12.1 release plan
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 19:50:24 GMT
Dennis Kubes wrote:
> Can we get the new HADOOP-1115 included in this release?  This would
> really help with allowing Nutch to use 0.12.1 as opposed to the older
> 0.11.x release

Why are you (the Hadoop guys) pushing for the release so quickly? Are
you under a deadline? IMHO things should be allowed to settle a bit - I
keep having a distinct impression that the code is unstable now, and
needs to be tested more thoroughly before proclaiming its
release-worthiness - and IMO delaying the release by 24 hours won't help
much.

Having that many critical issues 24 hours before the release doesn't
give me too much confidence in the quality of this release - I'm more
and more convinced that Nutch should use 0.11.2 for now. I understand
the principle of releasing early and often, but there has to be some
point in making a release, i.e. the code should be mostly usable - as I
see it now there is a constant stream of new critical issues being
uncovered with the current code.

May I suggest that you should postpone the Hadoop release by 2 weeks or so?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><