hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: 0.12.1 release plan
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 08:32:32 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Andrzej Bialecki wrote:
>> Actually we discussed this on the Nutch mailing list, and the overall
>> consensus was that for this release we should stick to 0.11.2, since
>> 0.12 still looks too fresh. Do you think we should revisit this issue?
>
> I think the experience on big clusters at Yahoo! is that 0.12.1 should
> be more stable than 0.11.2, but others can confirm that.

Hm.. That's not the impression I have from JIRA and the mailing list. My
impression is that even though 0.12.1 is more robust in some situations,
the significant changes (checksum filesystem, speculative execution, in
memory sorting, improved map output handling, etc, etc) made between
these releases introduced many subtle bugs which only now start coming
into light.

At the same time, I've had relatively positive experience with 0.11.2 on
moderately sized clusters (dozen machines). That's why I proposed that
Nutch should use 0.11.2 for the upcoming release.

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><