hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Lack of progress info in map tasks
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:37:38 GMT
Hi all,

Is it just me, or is there something strange with Hadoop since ~0.10 or
thereabout .. With older version of Hadoop I would get a nice often
updated progress status for each map task. What I'm seeing now is that
map tasks stay at 0.0% and then finally jump to 100.0% and finish.
Consequently, for jobs with small number of long-running map tasks, the
progress update is very coarse.

As I understand, this progress meter (in absence of map tasks explicitly
setting the progress) was based on the RecordReader reporting of how
much of the current split has been read. Is this something that got
broken on the way? If not, what's the reason for this, and how to fix it?

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><