hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <dan.cresw...@lonecrusader.co.uk>
Subject Re: JavaSpaces (Blitz?) and hadoop - comparison?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 09:40:57 GMT
Hi,

I'm the author of Blitz as it happens :)

Blitz has various different modes of operation.  It can be persistent
but also can operate in "memory-only" configuration.

The basic difference would be that Blitz is just a core element around
which you could build a MapReduce implementation (in fact I have done in
the past) etc. Hadoop by contrast has a core of it's own based on a GFS
equivalent and also includes the framework for MapReduce etc.

In conclusion, Blitz provides the base of a stack and Hadoop has that
base (in another form) plus additional layers (MapReduce etc).

Hope that helps,

Dan.