hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ion Badita <ion.bad...@mcr.ro>
Subject SequenceFile "pointers"
Date Sun, 04 Feb 2007 07:39:34 GMT
Hi,

I looked to the SequenceFile especially to the sync part, and i have an
idea to replace sync hashes with a "pointers file" with 64 bit entries
pointing to the beginning of every record in seq file.
I made a drawing with the explanation. Pointers could be kept in a
separate file or appended to the end of the seq file when the file is
closed. One gain of using pointers will be on map/reduce input
splitting: if we need to split a seq file in 3 we could use this
"formula": ((pointersFileSize / 8) / 3)  * 8 = index for the pointer
entry that will give as an 64bit index to the actual record in seq file.
With pointer file we can very easy find the count for records in
sequence file; because the pointers are 64 bytes aligned we can compute
the sequence file like this pointersFileSize / 8 = record count. I think
the count is useful, i personally need it.

What do you think?

John