hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From amcn...@mcnabbs.org (Andrew McNabb)
Subject Re: What do people use Hadoop for?
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 19:55:40 GMT
On Wed, Jan 24, 2007 at 11:43:16AM -0800, Doug Judd wrote:
> Good point, then at the very least it should be called Map-Sort-Reduce,
> where all of the phases are optional.  :)

If the name is going to include everything that the MapReduce
implementation gives you, you might have to call it
Map-Sort-Reduce-with-Load-Balancing-and-Fault-Tolerance-and-More. :)

Here's how I think about it: it's MapReduce because the programmer
provides a Map function and a Reduce function and everything else
happens automatically.  Isn't it great that the programmer doesn't even
have to worry about the sort?

--
Andrew McNabb
http://www.mcnabbs.org/andrew/