hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Runping Qi" <runp...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject RE: Per-job counters
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 16:57:57 GMT

I used to declare various counters in my map/reduce classes to keep track
various statistics of my jobs. Typically, those counters are initialized by
the configure method, updated by the map/reduce methods, and finalized by
the close method. However, those counters are per task basis, I don't have a
good way to aggregate those counters across an entire job. It would be nice
to introduce some API to let each map/reduce task initialize their own
counters and register them with the job. At the end of the job, the job
tracker can automatically aggregate them and made them available through API
or through the job status.

Runping