hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Raghu Angadi <rang...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: minor change in dataNode handling of multiple directories.
Date Fri, 01 Dec 2006 23:12:57 GMT

Does anyone have a config where some data directories don't exists at
all? The current datanode does not work in that case. It throws
IOException. The current code only tolerates if the directory exist but
could not be locked. Yes, we could decide not throw the exception if the
directory does not exist.

For now I am just going to keep the same behavior as before.

> Konstantin Shvachko wrote:
>> Good point.
>> I think we should document it (Javadoc?) making it a feature rather
>> than a side effect.
>> Bryan A. P. Pendleton wrote:
>>> I would prefer this proposal not be implements. The current way
>>> things work
>>> makes it possible to configure, centrally, a list of all directories
>>> that
>>> _could_ be used for storage. Since there's no easy way to do per-node
>>> configurations (nor would it be desirable, IMO, in this case), the
>>> directories config ends up being the list of all possibly usable
>>> directories. Many of my cluster nodes are configured using
>>> "rocksclusters":
>>> they will have a uniform set of mounts created, one for each physical
>>> drive,
>>> at boot/re-install. If I specify in my config the list of all
>>> directories up
>>> to the most number of drives a machine will ever have, then I get easy
>>> drop-in use, regardless of variations in nodes in the cluster. I have
>>> been
>>> relying in the current behavior to keep me sane.
>>> OTOH, I wouldn't oppose making this the default behavior, with a
>>> configuration param that would set things back to the old behavior.

View raw message