hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Jim White <...@pagesmiths.com>
Subject Re: Administrative Request
Date Thu, 16 Nov 2006 16:02:49 GMT
David Pollak wrote:

> Would it be possible to add [Hadoop-Dev] to the subject of each  message
> in this mailing list?  I receive hundreds of pieces of spam a  day (this
> is after filtering... with filter off, it's > 5,000  pieces.)  One of my
> mental filters is looking for people I know or  subjects I care about
> and I've found that I've been deleting too many  Hadoop-Dev messages
> accidentally.

I totally relate as I'm in the same boat with mail volume.  But I don't
think adding [hadoop-dev] is really helpful.  The subjects here are
already pretty long.

I set up filters for my mailing lists so that they go into their own
folders based on the headers.  If you use "show all headers" or "show
message source" you will see that there is a:

So I have a rule that looks for contains "hadoop" in the the List-Id header.

Of course that doesn't help off-list replies, and occasionally I do find
messages that I have to retrieve from the spam filter which apparently
doesn't like excessive quoting.

View raw message