hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: running dfs standalone
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 20:33:56 GMT
James Todd wrote:
>    bin/hadoop.sh fails under dash, which is ubuntu's 6.10b /bin/sh
>      if [ "$HADOOP_NICENESS" == "" ]; then

Can you please submit a bug for this, ideally with a patch for
bin/hadoop?  Thanks.

>    would be nice to add ".txt" suffix to the log and out files so that they
> can be viewed w/in the browser

Yes, that would be good.  Or we might explicitly specify their content
type somehow.  Please submit another bug for this.

>  Now, the more critical issue. I'm wondering why, if I am understanding
> things correctly, why the DataNode *requires* DNS
>  resolution vs optionally simply using the specified IP?

I can't think of a reason.  Most folks define localhost to be
in /etc/hosts and then specify localhost for a standalone configuration.
  If for some reason you need to specify raw ip addresses, then please
submit a bug and/or patch.

View raw message