hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Kubes <nutch-...@dragonflymc.com>
Subject RPC Client Functionality Questions
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:21:18 GMT
I have been going through the RPC framework and I wanted to confirm what
I am seeing and ask a couple of questions.

 From what I see the RPC framework returns dynamic proxy instances that
use the Invoker as the InvocationHandler.  The Invoker uses a Client
which uses a Connection and a Call to do the actual passing of the
writable and returning of the result.  The networking happens inside of
the Connection.  The Connection is pulled from a pool but initializes
input and output streams and sockets on each call.  The Connection on
sendParam method sends the Call over the network to the server and the
socket input stream blocks waiting for a response back from the server.
This is in a loop in the Connection thread and if the input stream read
times out then it loops again and will block again waiting for a
response.  This looks like this loop will happen indefinitely if nothing
is returned from the server after the sendParam method is called.

My first question is, am I reading this code correctly?  Is what is
described above what is actually happening.

When a call is finished the reading process the Connection object is in
the pool if it didn't get removed by the ConnectionCuller thread for
being idle to long.  When idle to long or an error occurs the should
close flag on the Connection is set to true which causes it process to
break out of the Connection processing loop in the run method and clean
itself up eventually calling the close method.

Again is what I am seeing correct?  If it is shouldn't we be closing the
input streams in the close method or does closing the socket
automatically handle that?

Dennis