hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Frédéric Bertin <frederic.ber...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject eclipse-based gui to browse a HDFS or launch MR jobs
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2006 16:23:08 GMT
Hi all,

to increase productivity in our current project (which makes a heavy use
of Hadoop), I wrote a small Eclipse-based GUI application which
basically consists in 2 views:

    *  a HDFS explorer adapted from Eclipse filesystem explorer example.
      For now, it includes the following features:
          o classical tree-based browsing interface, with directory
            content being detailed in a 3 columns table (file name, file
            size, file type)
          o refresh button
          o delete file or directory (with confirm dialog): select files
            in the tree or table and click the "Delete" button
          o rename file or directory: simple click on the file in the
            table, type the new name and validate
          o open file with system editor: select the file in the table
            and click "Open" button (works on Windows, not on Linux)
          o internal drag & drop
          o external drag & drop from the local filesystem to the HDFS
            (the opposite doesn't work)

    * a MapReduce *very* simple job launcher:
          o select the job XML configuration file
          o run the job
          o kill the job
          o visualize map and reduce progress with progress bars
          o open a browser on the Hadoop job tracker web interface

Do you see any interest for such a tool in Hadoop (or in a connate
project)? If yes, I see no problem contributing it. However I don't know
what is your current thinking about providing Hadoop with some GUI
functions? Indeed it may overlap with the current Web-based interface.

WDYT?

Fred