hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Groschupf ...@media-style.com>
Subject Re: dfs incompatibility .3 and .4-dev?
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:01:44 GMT
Hi Konstantin,
> Could you give some more information about what happened to you.
> - what is your cluster size
9 datanode, 1 namenode.
> - amount of data
Total raw bytes: 6023680622592 (5609.98 Gb)
Used raw bytes: 2357053984804 (2195.17 Gb)

> - how long did dfs ran without restarting the name node before
> upgrading
I would say 2 weeks.

>> we discussed the three  kinds of data looses, hardware, software
>> or  human errors.
>> I would love to figure out what was my problem today. :)
>
> Looks like you are not alone :-(
Too bad that the other didn't report it earlier. :)

>> Scenario:
>> + updated from hadoop .2.1 to .4.
>> + problems to get all datanodes started
>
> what was the problem with datanodes?
I don't think there was a real problem. I notice that the datanodes
was not able to connect to the namenode.
Later one I just add a "sleep 5" into the dfs starting script after
starteing the name node and that sloved the problem.
However at this time I updated, notice that problem, was thinking
"ok, not working yet, lets wait another week", downgrading.

>> + downgrade to hadoop .3.1
>> + error message of incompatible dfs (I guess . already had started
>> to  write to the log)
>
> What is the message?

Sorry I can not find the exception anymore in the logs. :-(
Something like "version conflict -1 vs -2" :-o Sorry didn't remember
exactly.

> Thanks,

Thank you!

Stefan