hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Cafarella" <michael.cafare...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HBase Design Ideas, Part II
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 08:01:28 GMT
Hi Stefan,

On 5/30/06, Stefan Groschupf <sg@media-style.com> wrote:

> In my project we do not need to have multi row locking at all. I need
> to write and read as fast as possible into many rows - column pairs
> but each of them is atomically.
> I'm little bit worry that the goals are to big for now and having
> such difficult to implement functionality will slow down a general
> hadoop kind of big table implementation.
> I really would love to start small and grow may be later with each
> release.

A good point.  I've scaled down my ambitions for the thing.
Locking, query languages, even compression - all that stuff is for
version 2+.   I might have gotten a little carried away, asking for
query language examples before the row store works properly ;)

I personal don't like query languages at all - especially sql. :-)
> They are only really usefully if you work on a admin gui tool and
> want to check your data, from my point of view.
> Since some years I really prefer api based query mechanisms as
> hibernate or db4o provide.
> For example query by example is just easy to use and can be powerful.

A query is any time a string in your code you need to maintain
> queries separately. You need to scan and update your code as soon
> your change just one column name etc.
> But having a API based Query mechanism allows to develop faster from
> my experience. Keywords in my mind are  test driven development,
> refactoring, refactoring tools like eclipse etc.

In theory, a declarative language like SQL should enable all sorts
of cool things on top of BigTable.  In practice, it might take 10 years
before
the query optimizer works right ;)  So for the moment, no SQL
for us.

Though there is probably a great query language waiting to be written
on top of a BigTable-like store.

--Mike