hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Andrzej Bialecki ...@getopt.org>
Subject Re: HBase Design Ideas, terminology
Date Mon, 05 Jun 2006 10:47:37 GMT
Michael Cafarella wrote:
> Storing namenode and MapReduce status in a BigTable-like structure is
> intriguing,
> but seems dangerous.  (All the database stuff is built on top of DFS
> and MapReduce.  What happens when the database needs a file in DFS,
> which needs a record from the database?  Oh lord...)

Let me pipe-in with a "me too" comment: I think it's important to
implement HBase in a way that other parts of Hadoop don't depend on it.
So far we have a very nice separation of layers: DFS can run
independently of map-reduce, and DFS + map-reduce should run
independently of HBase, too. IMHO, any tricks like the one you guys
describe would better be left to the high-level applications, and not
hard-wired into the infrastructure ...

--
Best regards,
Andrzej Bialecki     <><