hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From "Bryan A. Pendleton" ...@geekdom.net>
Subject Recent IPC changes?
Date Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:47:00 GMT
I've been mostly tracking TRUNK. In particular, I update every few days. I
updated to the post 0.3 trunk yesterday, and now I'm seeing very weird
slowdowns in job distribution.

What appears to be happening is that that heartbeats aren't registering with
the job tracker, except after an RPC timeout. If my RPC timeout is the
default (60s), it takes 60s for the refresh cycle - effectively meaning that
it takes 60s for *any* tasks to start being distributed, after a job starts
up. If I turn the IPC timeout down to 10s, then the heartbeats happen at 10s
instead. Is this intended? Is there some new setting that I should be
setting (that's not in hadoop-default, I guess)?

--
Bryan A. Pendleton
Ph: (877) geek-1-bp