hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Reed <br...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Making the elephant run
Date Tue, 23 May 2006 23:00:49 GMT
Actually, these patches are really just to make Hadoop start
trotting. It is still at least an order of magnitude slower than it
should be, but I think these patches are a good start.

I've created two patches for clarity. They are not independent, but
could easily be made so.

The disk-zoom patch is a performance trifecta: less disk IO, less
disk space, less CPU, and overall a tremendous improvement. The patch
is based on the following observation: every piece of data from a map
hits the disk once on the mapper, and 3 (+plus sorting) times on the
reducer. Further, the entire input for the reduce step is sorted
together maximizing the sort time. This patch causes:

1)  the mapper to sort the relatively small fragments at the mapper
which causes two hits to the disk, but they are smaller files.
2) the reducer copies the map output and may merge (if more than 100
outputs are present) with a couple of other outputs at copy time. No
sorting is done since the map outputs are sorted.
3) the reducer  will merge the map outputs on the fly in memory at
reduce time.

I'm attaching the performance graph (with just the disk-zoom patch)
to show the results. This benchmark uses a random input and null
output to remove any DFS performance influences. The cluster of 49
machines I was running on had limited disk space, so I was only able
to run to a certain size on unmodified Hadoop. With the patch we use
1/3 the amount of disk space.

The second patch allows the task tracker to reuse processes to avoid
the over-head of starting the JVM. While JVM startup is relatively
fast, restarting a Task causes disk IO and DFS operations that have a
negative impact on the rest of the system. When a Task finishes,
rather than exiting, it reads the next task to run from stdin. We
still isolate the Task runtime from TaskTracker, but we only pay the
startup penalty once.

This second patch also fixes two performance issues not related to
JVM reuse. (The reuse just makes the problems glaring.) First, the
JobTracker counts all jobs not just the running jobs to decide the
load on a tracker. Second, the TaskTracker should really ask for a
new Task as soon as one finishes rather than wait the 10 secs.

I've been benchmarking the code alot, but I don't have access to a
really good cluster to try the code out on, so please treat it as
experimental. I would love to feedback.

There is another obvious thing to change: ReduceTasks should start
after the first batch of MapTasks complete, so that 1) they have
something to do, and 2) they are running on the fastest machines.

thanx
ben