hadoop-common-dev mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: java 1.4 versus 1.5
Date Wed, 31 May 2006 19:27:59 GMT
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> Java 1.5 has been out for a couple of years now and has some nice
> improvements in the libraries. In particular, I wish I had access to the
> timeout settings on UrlConnections. Would anyone object if starting with
> the 0.3 release this week, we required java 1.5 to compile and run Hadoop?

Since you contributed a non-Java-1.5 patch for HADOOP-259, let's go
ahead and release 0.3 without a Java 1.5 requirement, then start
permitting Java 1.5 in changes for 0.4.  That way we give folks a bit
more notice and a bit more time to object.  I doubt we'll hear many
objections, but I don't want to surprise folks too much with this kind
of change.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

Doug